Thursday, October 13, 2011

Book lovers with organizational OCD will totally understand how awesome this news really is

It's no secret that I am a fan of Chuck Palahniuk. I have read all of this non-fiction books, many of them more than once by a bunch. Initially, I read the books by borrowing them from my cousin. Once I realized that I wanted to reread the books, I started purchasing my own copies to build my collection. I started with one of the new releases, which meant that I had to buy a hardcover. I shouldn't say "had to" because, in all honesty, I love hardcover books. Given the choice to purchase a hardcover book or a paperback, hardcover every time. I don't care that it's more expensive, heavier, or harder to fit into a small purse, they look better on a bookshelf. Actually, I think they look better in general. And I tend to carry huge purses, so there goes that argument. I could also probably use the work out of carrying around the heavier book as I an aversion to gyms and going for runs and such. As for the expensive thing, books really aren't that expensive and I'm spending the money at all, what's a few extra dollars for pretty.

In building the Chuck collection, however, there's a snag in the plan. One of his earliest books, Invisible Monsters was not released in hardcover form ever. Like, even at initial release. I've been wanting to reread it for so long, but couldn't justify purchasing a paperback copy. I mean, it would throw off that whole section of my bookshelf and we can't have that! So for years I have gone without. Until today. Well, not quite today, but sort of. Today I learned that they are rereleasing Invisible Monsters in June 2012 as a hardcover edition. There was also something about it being a remix edition too, which is fine. According to Chuck's website, the added chapters and whatnot bring the book to the level that he desired for its initial release (if you're interested, I highly recommend reading about his early career and the process of writing and publishing both Invisible Monsters and Fight Club).

Needless to say, I'm so fucking excited! Collection will be one step closer to being complete on the 11th of June in 2012. Until then, I can purchase some of the others, reread my favorites, etc, beginning Tuesday when I buy his new release Damned.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has to have all the books match! (Hooray for Organizational OCD bordering on Organizational Anorexia!) For the longest time I had the first Harry Potter book in paperback and the rest in hardcover and it drove me nuts, and then one day someone handed me the first book in hardcover that had been in lost and found for too long. It was fate. Also, half my Chuck books are paper back and half are hard back :(

    ReplyDelete