Thursday, January 5, 2012

Winter finally got the memo and showed up

The past couple of days have been cold. And not just "I'm from Florida and my blood is mostly composed of frozen drinks and beach water and therefore not able to tolerate anything anywhere close to freezing" cold, but legit "holy shit are those single digit wind chills?!" cold. And last night I had to work, which involved walking down a stretch of a few avenues. In the cold. In the windy cold.

It's fine though. I was fairly bundled up in the usual. However, when the wind blew and the cold managed to pierce through my jeans, I longed to have an additional layer under them to protect me. Sure, I had on my knee socks (because they are hilarious and I love them and they are second to scarves as my favorite winter clothing item) and they were working well enough, but if I had leggings, I'm sure I would have been slightly less cold. That's when I start thinking about cold weather clothing and my Floridian brain gets very confused.

I have aced the whole keeping the top half of me warm. Long sleeves, sweaters, coat, scarf, hat, etc. But the legs? Not so sure. For girls, I know that I can do leggings and knee socks and all that jazz to help keep my legs warmer during the winter. I have done these things, but only under rare circumstances and/or when I plan to be outdoors for a significant amount of time. Fun fact: I once wore jazz pants under a pair of jeans on a day when I was going to be outside essentially all day (walking the island of Manhattan day, to be exact). If you ever want to have a thin, comfortable, and really warm article of clothing, buy it from a dance store/magazine/website. Anyway, back to my point. I was thinking how I could have remedied my situation and thought of solutions. Then I started thinking about what boys had under their clothes. No, not in a dirty way. Get your mind out of the gutter and focus! What do boys wear under their jeans to stay warm when it's really, really cold out?!

Maybe guys are too macho to wear anything. They're tough manly men who can face anything, especially something so lame as wind and cold. And yes, I am aware of long underwear and such, but how often are those really used? I have only worn them when we went skiing when I was younger and have since only associated them with such an activity to the point of not being sure of their everyday possibilities. Now that I think about it, I'm sure they don't wear anything. Not like commando not wearing anything, just nothing extra anything.

And now something not pants related but equally hilarious to a Floridian. My radiator makes a ton of noises that confuse me. This is nothing new. I know it has something to do with it working and making it warm in here or whatever. Today, however, a new chapter in "Things I don't understand and probably never will because I grew up in the land of swimming on Christmas day". My radiator spewed water all over my floor. I don't know if this is normal or something to be concerned about. I'm not googling it. I threw a dirty towel on the floor to soak up the water and laughed. Then decided I should write about it. And that's what reminded me about the pants thing.

I think I'm determined to make winter really funny (at least to me) so I forget about the fact that my toes are really cold right now and I hate wearing socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment