Wednesday, December 28, 2011

So I took the LSAT

I meant to write this right after taking the test so as not to forget the details. I debated not even including it because who really cares about my test taking endeavor. I do. So I guess it should be included.

Before taking the LSAT, there was a lot of preparation. You know, the studying and such. Prior to taking the test, you must acquire a couple things. The standards of pencils and such. You can even bring a highlighter to help with the reading comprehension! Sorry, nerd moment. Anyway, you also have to have a photo, much like a passport photo. So I went to get one. Things I have yet to learn about living up here where winter happens. It was a brisk and cold day, but beautifully sunny. The wind make a frequent and intense cameo, the result of which was on featured on my face and came through in the photo. Now, if I was a legitimate female, I probably would have thought about wearing makeup for a photo that I could use to finally get my passport (another story for another time). The girl at CVS takes my photo and shows it to me on the digital camera, asking if it's okay. My inner monologue went something like this.
"Oh man. Look how gross and splotchy my face is! And what is my hair doing on the right side there? Ugh. Gross. It's perfect."
And so I informed the girl that it was acceptable and the photo was printed. One of the test, and one for the passport. Big check on the to do list.

Passport stuff will have to wait for another day because I had to do other things like acquire enough pencils and I'm sure other things on the "prepping for the LSAT" checklist. And these errands made me that girl on the subway. You know the one, she's just rocking out to her music and holding a giant book and reading it constantly, finishing chapters while walking up the exit stairs. Yeah, her. In my defense, I had to get that studying done. It was almost test day!

Flash forward to said test day. Earlier in the week, I had received an email that I could not take the test at my desired location and had been moved to taking the test out in Queens. That wasn't going to walk to me, and after a couple of pleading phone calls with the LSAT people, I resigned myself to just taking the test standby. It's a risk to do this. You just show up where you want to test and hope they have a space for you. The LSAT people assured me that no one ever usually gets turned away, but the couldn't guarantee that I could take the test. I figured that most future law students wouldn't be as ballsy for such an important test.

And you know what? It all worked out. The test administrators had never heard of someone taking the test standby. Their confusion didn't phase me as I had to explain it over and over to different people. Once it all made sense to them, I was pointed to my testing room. And what I hope is an omen or at least was a comforting "good luck!" moment, the walls of my test room were lined with photos of female alumni of the school and their current professions. They sat there, smiling down at me (and I guess the other test takers too) while I filled in the bubbles and wrote my little essay.

Hours later, the test was done. I went to work. Regulars at the bar asked how it went, asked about the score, and shared their sentiments of how they believed and hoped I did well.

Now we wait. Only about a week left (at the time of this writing) for the score. Then the next step begins. The applying step. Then more waiting. Exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment